Smoked vegan salmon (aka vegan lox), ideal for blinis, bagels or salads. Super easy to make and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
You're gonna wanna make this vegan salmon if you're having a party this year, OR ANY YEAR for that matter! It tastes like vegan smoked salmon with a tangy kick and a deliciously delicate flavour. Perfect for serving on vegan blinis, bagels or toast with creative cream cheese - or just in a salad!
It's made from carrots which have been blanched and then marinated in a super smoky brine, which gives it a delicious flavour, like vegan lox or vegan gravlax! Except no animals involved!
🧈 Vegan Salmon Ingredients
Here's everything you'll need to make this vegan salmon! It's so simple even a HORSE could make it! Ok maybe not a horse, they have big cumbersome hooves, but perhaps any animal with paws.
- Liquid smoke (or sub for 1 tablespoon smoked paprika)
- Caper brine
- Gherkin brine (aka pickle brine)
- White wine vinegar
- Fine sea salt
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh dill (finely chopped)
And hey, don't fret if you can't find the quantities for my vegan salmon recipe! The amounts are all listed in full at the bottom of the page in the recipe card. Definitely no need to send me a message on instagram to say you can't find the quantities! (Current tally of people who've messaged me to say they can't find the quantities for this recipe: 17)
I know what you're thinking... "how do I literally make SALMON from a carrot??" - well if you stop raising your hand to ask questions for literally one minute I might be able to tell you! Sheesh! Here's how - broken into four steps. HAPPY NOW!?
1. Peel and boil the carrots! When I say peel I mean remove the skin but then kinda JUST KEEP GOING! The peeler will help to create thin ribbons which you'll then boil nice and quickly. Don't forget to have a bowl of cold water ready to plunge the cooked carrot ribbons into, to stop them from cooking!
2. Whisk together the marinade! All the big flavours arrive now! We're talking liquid smoke! Vinegar! Even pickle brine! Everything that tastes like vegan salmon! It all comes together here in beautiful harmony! Want some extra flavours in there? Go wild! Add some spice or some herbs - whatever you fancy!
3. Marinate the carrots! Ideally for a few hours minimum. Side-bar: My secret pet peeve is people saying marinade instead of marinate, and vice versa. Marinade is the noun, marinate is the verb. Got it? Good. Thanks for coming to the patronising pedantic English language school of witchcraft and wizardry.
4. Serve it up! You're now ready to serve your vegan smoked salmon! It doesn't matter if you stick it on vegan sour cream, vegan cream cheese or whatever! Also remember you can serve on everything from a toasted bagel to a tray of vegan blinis or even vol au vents!
Obviously the longer you marinate the carrots, the more they'll taste like vegan lox or vegan smoked salmon. I've left this recipe to marinate for up to a week and the flavour was insane! This obvs means you can prepare this ahead if you're having a party!
🤘 Why it's great
- It's Gluten Free - No swaps needed! Unlike many others, I don't use soy sauce in my recipe, so it's gluten free! A crowd please!
- It's Soy Free - Again, no soy sauce in this recipe so it's also soy free!
- It's Easy To Make In Advance - The longer you marinate this vegan salmon, the more it'll taste like vegan lox! Make it up to a week ahead and serve at the best party ever!
Let me know via instagram if you decide to make any swaps or subs, or if you think you can improve this recipe somehow!
Here's a list of everything you'll need to make my vegan salmon! Two things! that's it! Yesss!
- Vegetable Peeler
- 1 large saucepan
🤷♀️ Vegan Salmon FAQs
A: This vegan salmon is made from carrots! They're cooked quickly and marinated in liquid smoke among other ingredients.
A: This vegan salmon is best served cold or at room temperature.
- Vegetable Peeler
- 1 large saucepan
- 4 carrots
- 2 tablespoon liquid smoke (or sub for 1 tablespoon smoked paprika)
- 2 tablespoon caper brine
- 2 tablespoon gherkin brine (aka pickle brine)
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- small bunch of fresh dill (finely chopped)
- Using a potato peeler, remove the skin from the carrots then peel them into long thin ribbons.4 carrots
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Boil the carrot ribbons for 3 minutes then drain and plunge into a bowl of cold water to stop them cooking further.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the carrot ribbons to the bowl and massage gently with your hands to make sure they're all coated with the marinade.2 tablespoon liquid smoke, 2 tablespoon caper brine, 2 tablespoon gherkin brine, 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, small bunch of fresh dill
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour. Alternatively transfer to an airtight container and leave in the fridge for up to a week. Serve with cream cheese, a squeeze of lemon, capers and dill.
Big fan of this sentence: “ Marinade is the noun, marinate is the verb. Got it? Good.” 😂
I CANNOT BELIEVE how easy this recipe is and how much it’s like salmon…. Mind blowing