Aah vegan banana bread pancakes -all the joy of banana bread in a super easy vegan pancake recipe! Ideal for vegan pancake day or just a joyous weekend breakfast!
Don't say anything for a minute, I'm just thinking about my vegan banana bread pancakes I had for breakfast this morning. Ok, I'm ready. What were we talking about? Oh my god yeah pancakes! I'm sorry I slipped into a pancake hole for a minute then.
These vegan banana bread pancakes are the ABSOLUTE ISH! If you've been here for a while, you'll know I go to great lengths to eat dessert for breakfast, and I can tell from the tiny glint of saliva in the corner of your mouth that you'd like to do that too. So you've come to the right recipe!
🧈 Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes Ingredients
Now before you write me an angry DM on LinkedIn because I've included a bowl of chocolate chips in the picture below but NOT in the recipe, I'd like to say sorry, pre-emptively. This recipe originally included chocolate chips but I decided half-way through that it was overkill. But hey, if you'd like to include chocolate chips, consider this photo your calling.
All other ingredients for my vegan banana bread pancakes are listed below - full measurements are (as always) in the recipe at the bottom of the page! Head there if you're in a hurry. Oh and if you're looking for VEGAN BANANA BREAD then you can find it right here!
- Walnut pieces
- Plain white flour
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking powder
- Soy milk
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Very ripe bananas
- Vegan butter (for frying)
- Maple syrup (for topping)
Your full vegan banana bread pancakes recipe is at the bottom of this page, but here's a little breakdown for you! Hey, maybe you've never made pancakes before! Maybe you just like looking at still images of stuff frying! It doesn't matter - here we go!
1. First you're gonna need to make your vegan banana bread pancake batter. It's simple but theres a nice trick here. When you stir any batter you activate the gluten in the flour. For pancakes which are light and fluffy, you're gonna wanna let the batter rest before frying, so cover and set aside for 5 mins.
2. Frying vegan banana bread pancakes is easy. All you need to do is make sure you have a nice coating of vegan butter on the pan. Get it good and hot then add around a quarter of a cup of batter. Hey presto! You're on your way!
3. The perfect time to flip your vegan banana bread pancakes is when the top of the pancake looks ALMOST completely cooked. It should lose some of its glossiness and look less "wet". Use a nice silicone spatula and flip!
4. You're going to want to keep your pancakes nice and warm while frying the rest of the batter. I suggest either warming a plate in advance, or putting your oven on very low. After you fry a pancake, put it on the plate or in the oven until you're ready to serve.
🔀 Swaps and Sub
Here's how to make your vegan banana bread pancakes suitable for all! Yey! cake for breakfast!! For EVERYONE!
- Gluten Free - This recipe can be made with a 1-to-1 gluten free flour replacement like this one from Freee or this one from Bob's Red Mill. No need to alter the batter at all. Just a simple swap!
- Soy Free - I use soy milk in this recipe. If you're soy free though, be sure to swap out for oat milk! In fact, any plant milk except almond! Also double check your vegan butter for soy.
🥞 Toppings for Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes
Obvs we're serving with the classic maple syrup and bananas but here are some other topping suggestions for you!
- Double the portion of walnuts the recipe calls for and chip roughly once toasted. Sprinkle over the pancakes for some extra crunch!
- I adore vegan chocolate hazelnut spread Vego. I've recently discovered you can microwave an open jar for a few seconds for a smooth chocolatey sauce. VERY indulgent!
- Want to keep it light? Why not top with your favourite vegan yoghurt and agave syrup?
This recipe is VERY light on the equipment! Here's everything you'll need to get making vegan banana bread pancakes.
- 1 Medium Frying Pan
- 1 Medium Bowl
And that's it! Super easy! If you love banana but not a huge fan of pancakes, why not try my vegan banana pudding recipe? After more pancake recipes? Don't forget my classic vegan pancakes, my vegan blueberry pancakes or even my vegan scallion pancakes!
🤷♀️ Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes FAQs
A: Most pancakes contain both eggs and milk while some are fried in butter. This recipe, however, uses vegan alternatives. Banana makes a wonderful egg replacement too!
A: Eggs don't actually provide much lift for pancake recipes - they're mostly there as a binder and for moisture. Baking powder provides the lift required for fluffy pancakes, and this is a vegan ingredient.
Vegan Banana Bread Pancakes
- 1 Medium Frying Pan
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 50 g walnut pieces
- 300 g plain white flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 300 ml soy milk
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 very ripe bananas (plus extra for topping)
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter (for frying)
- maple syrup (for topping)
- Place a medium frying pan over low heat and add the walnuts. Toast gently for around 5 minutes, tossing regularly to make sure they don’t burn. Remove from the pan and allow to cool fully before finely chopping. Alternatively add to a blender and grind until you have a very rough textured walnut flour.50 g walnut pieces
- Place the toasted walnuts, plain white flour, ground cinnamon and baking powder in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add the remaining pancake ingredients and whisk together. Cover the bowl and leave to rest for 5 minutes.300 g plain white flour, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 300 ml soy milk, 100 g light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 very ripe bananas
- Place the medium frying pan back over medium heat and add a little butter. Use kitchen roll or a pastry brush to spread it around the pan. Once hot, add around a quarter of a cup of the batter to the pan. Allow to cook until the top of the pancake is almost entirely cooked, around 2 mins.2 tablespoon vegan butter
- Flip the pancake and fry for another 20-30 seconds on the other side, or just until lightly browned. Remove the pancake from the pan and keep warm in the oven or on a warm plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes in stacks with extra banana and maple syrup!maple syrup