A deliciously flaky vegan sausage roll wreath packed with herby vegan meaty filling and rich mushroom pate. A real festive party pleaser.
'Tis the season to be jolly, and what better way to add a dash of festive flair to your gatherings than with a whimsical Vegan Sausage Roll Wreath? I'm talking about super flaky puff pastry filled with herby vegan sausage and rich mushroom pâté.
This flaky and delicious dude is about as eye-catching as it is delicious - a truly delightful addition to any holiday spread. And what's more, it's a super simple bake, with just a handful of ingredients. So let's get this holiday party started shall we??
🧈 Required Ingredients
Let's have a look at what you'll need to make this recipe.
- Ready rolled vegan puff pastry
- Vegan sausages (Beyond, Impossible, or This)
- Fresh sage, finely chopped
- Dijon mustard
- Vegan mushroom pate (homemade or store-bought)
- Plant milk (unsweetened and unflavored)
- White sesame seeds
- Cranberry sauce (for serving)
Note: Ensure your puff pastry is vegan-friendly, as some varieties may contain dairy, see below for more details!
🎂 A Note on Pastry
Look, some people love making home-made pastry from scratch, and that's cool! But for those of us who are not culinary wizards, or just prefer a shortcut during the hectic holiday season, fear not! Many supermarkets now carry vegan puff pastry!
In the UK, almost all store-bought puff pastry is made using vegetable fat instead of butter (unless stated on the package). Just make sure to check the labels to confirm its plant-based goodness. Your shortcut to a flaky, golden vegan sausage roll wreath awaits!
🍰 How to ROLL a Vegan Sausage Roll Wreath
Let's take a closer look at how to make this vegan sausage roll wreath. This process can be tricky the first time you do it, so I've included four step-by step photos of the rolling process for you! Oh and heads up, you can prepare this recipe up to step 4 and then freeze until you're ready to bake! Easy peasy!
1. Assemble the Wreath: Unroll the puff pastry on the lined baking sheet. Spread the mushroom pate down the centre, leaving two sides without pate. Spoon the sausage mixture onto the pate.
2. Roll the Pastry: Brush one exposed pastry side with plant milk. Use the parchment to roll it into a cylinder.
3. Divide the Rolls: Cut the cylinder into 14, keeping them attached at one end. Shape it into a circle with the attached edge on the inside.
4. Bake: Twist each sausage roll, brush with plant milk, and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake until golden. Cool for 10 minutes, then place a bowl of cranberry sauce in the center. Voila!
🤷♀️ Vegan Sausage Roll Wreath FAQs
A: Sure thing! I like to use Beyond, Impossible or This because they contain Methylcellulose, which goes firm and meaty once baked. But any variety will do!
A: Pop any uneaten portions in an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven for 10 mins at 180c/350f for that fresh-out-of-the-oven flakiness.
There you have it, a show-stopping Vegan Sausage Roll Wreath that will have your guests carolling in the streets! Want some more festive fancies? Why not try my delicious Vegan Pigs in Blankets for a smoky treat. Or how about a delicious Vegan Trifle for dessert! Oh and don't forget the Vegan Mince Pies!
Vegan Sausage Roll Wreath
- 1 Baking sheet
- 350 g ready rolled puff pastry (make sure it’s a vegan variety)
- 500 g vegan sausages (use a refrigerated variety like Beyond, Impossible or This)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 250 g vegan mushroom pate (my recipe is here or use store-bought vegan mushroom pate)
- 2 tablespoon plant milk (unsweetened and unflavoured)
- White sesame seeds
- Cranberry sauce (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 185 °C and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Remove the puff pastry from the fridge and remove outer packaging. Set on the counter and leave to come to room temperature.350 g ready rolled puff pastry
- Place the vegan sausages in a medium bowl with the fresh sage and dijon mustard. Use a fork to mash together into a paste. Set aside.500 g vegan sausages, 1 tablespoon fresh sage, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Unroll the puff pastry onto the baking parchment lined baking sheet. Use a spoon to spread the mushroom pate in a strip down the centre, leaving two long sides without pate.250 g vegan mushroom pate
- Spoon the sausage mixture down the centre of the pate. Brush one of the exposed pieces of pastry with some soy milk then use the baking parchment to roll the pastry over into a long cylinder.2 tablespoon plant milk
- Use a sharp knife to cut the long cylinder into 14 sausage rolls, leaving all the sausage rolls attached to each other at one end.
- Bend the cylinder around for form a circle. Carefully pinch and twist each sausage roll onto its side then brush with soy milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.White sesame seeds
- Place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the counter for 10 minutes.
- Fill a bowl with cranberry sauce and place it in the centre of the vegan sausage roll wreath before serving.Cranberry sauce