My perfect vegan custard is smooth, glossy and packed with vanilla flavour. It's ideal hot or cold and is ready in minutes with only 5 ingredients.
I've been meaning to develop a classic vanilla vegan custard recipe for a while now, and I'm happy to say it's finally here. It's super easy to make, takes only minutes to whip up and requires only 5 ingredients.
What's more, this vanilla custard recipe is gluten free, dairy free and egg free, so it's perfect for all occasions and all people! Come one come all - vegan custard for everyone! I love to make this custard and pour it over my vegan crumble or even my vegan apple pie - controversial, I know!
🧈 Vegan Custard Ingredients
Here's everything you'll need to make my vegan custard. Remember, this custard is the pourable kind, but it can be served hot or cold. Either way, you'll only need a handful of ingredients! Full recipe at the bottom of the page!
- Cornflour (aka cornstarch)
- Plant milk (unsweetened and unflavoured)
- Vanilla extract (or ideally, vanilla bean paste)
- Caster sugar (aka superfine sugar)
- Vegan butter
🔀 Ingredient Substitutions
There are only five ingredients in this vegan custard recipe, but if you need to swap some out, don't worry! Here's what I'd recommend!
Plant Milk - Soy milk works best for this recipe, but feel free to sub this for any plant milk. Your vegan custard will taste like almonds if you use almond milk, so avoid this one.
Cornstarch - The cornstarch in this recipe makes the custard thicken. If you'd like a thicker, scoopable custard that will set in the fridge, add an extra 2 tablespoon of cornstarch to this recipe.
Vegan Butter - This ingredient adds fat to the recipe and improves the mouthfeel of the finished dish. This can be replaced with vegan double cream or with deodorised coconut oil.
🍰 Making Vanilla Vegan Custard
Here's how to make my recipe. There are only really two steps - like I said, this is the easiest vegan custard recipe out there! Again, full recipe at the bottom of the page!
1. Combine the ingredients. For this one, it's important to whisk together the cornstarch with a little plant milk first, before adding the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise the cornstarch may be lumpy! If you forget and notice your ingredients are still lumpy, use an immersion blender to smooth things out!
2. Secondly and finally, heat over a medium low heat. This will cook the custard and cause it to thicken. Do not whisk too vigorously while cooking or you'll end up with a foamy custard. Once cooked, stir in the vegan butter until smooth and combined fully, then you're ready to serve!
🤷♀️ Vegan Custard FAQs
A: Most custard is made with milk, cream and eggs, so no. It is not traditionally vegan. However, this recipe is a great vegan alternative!
A: Vanilla extract is a natural product extracted from real vanilla beans. Vanilla essence is not natural, it is a synthetic version of vanilla flavour. Vanilla extract or vanilla beans are superior products.
- 2 ½ tablespoon cornflour (aka cornstarch)
- 450 ml plant milk (unsweetened and unflavoured)
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ideally, vanilla bean paste)
- 50 g caster sugar (aka superfine sugar)
- 50 g vegan butter
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornflour and 50ml of the plant milk. Once smooth, add the remaining plant milk, vanilla extract and caster sugar.2 ½ tablespoon cornflour, 450 ml plant milk, 3 teaspoon vanilla extract, 50 g caster sugar
- Place over medium low heat and stir constantly until the custard thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat then immediately add the vegan butter. Stir vigorously until fully melted and incorporated into the custard.50 g vegan butter
- If serving warm, serve immediately. Alternatively, cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap and leave to cool to room temperature then store in the fridge.