Indulge in the fiery tang of this vegan Buffalo sauce recipe. Perfect for dunking and dressing with a real spicy kick!
Are you ready to kick your taste buds into high gear with the fiery tang of my vegan Buffalo sauce? Are you a big chicken fan looking to enjoy a plant-based twist on this classic favourite? My vegan Buffalo sauce recipe has got your back baby!
It's a zesty, tangy, spicy, and utterly delicious sauce that's perfect for dipping, drizzling, and dunking your favourite vegan snacks. Why not whip up a batch of my vegan air fryer tofu nuggets JUST for this occasion!?
🧈 Vegan Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
Before we dive into the kitchen and accidentally get hot sauce in our eyeball, let's gather our key ingredients for this vegan Buffalo sauce:
- Hot sauce - I use Frank's Red Hot!
- Vegan butter - I use Flora Plant Butter
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce - I use Henderson's relish!
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
🎂 A Note on Vegan Butter
While traditional Buffalo sauce recipes use dairy butter, our vegan version opts for a plant-based alternative (I like to use Flora Plant Butter for this recipe).
Butter (vegan or otherwise) is crucial to this recipe because the fat helps to mute some of the spiciness of the hot sauce. Just a heads up though, that since vegan butter doesn't include animal fats (lipids) it's slightly less effective at dulling down the spice levels. For that reason be slightly wary and maybe opt for a more mild brand of hot sauce!
🔀 Ingredient Substitutions
If you don't have one of the ingredients on hand or prefer to customise your vegan Buffalo sauce, here are some handy substitutions:
- Hot Sauce: Feel free to choose your favourite vegan hot sauce - I've recommended Franks brand. Just ensure it' doesn't contain any animal-derived ingredients's plant-based.
- Vegan Butter: If you're out of vegan butter, you can replace it with coconut oil or olive oil for a slightly different flavour profile.
🍰 How to Make Vegan Buffalo Sauce
This recipe is WAY easier than you might think. It's truly a couple of ingredients, bish bash bosh sort of situation! No stress, no mess! Here's a step-by-step guide to perfection:
1. In a saucepan, melt together the vegan butter, hot sauce, vinegar, vegan Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt.
2. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is well combined and slightly thickened. This step marries all the ingredients, creating a harmonious, spicy blend.
4. And finally toss or dunk your snacks in the sauce! Bingo! Spicy heaven!
🤷♀️ Vegan Buffalo Sauce Nuggets FAQs
A: Absolutely! You have full control over the spice level. Simply reduce the amount of cayenne and hot sauce according to your taste preferences.
A: Vegan Worcestershire sauce is a plant-based alternative to the traditional Worcestershire sauce, which contains anchovies, a type of fish, making it non-vegan. Vegan Worcestershire sauce is crafted without animal-derived ingredients and is suitable for those following a vegan or vegetarian diet.
A: Your homemade vegan Buffalo sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. When you're ready to use it, reheat and enjoy.
Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Small saucepan
- 1 Spatula
- In a small saucepan, melt the vegan butter over low heat.110 g vegan butter
- Stir in the hot sauce, vinegar, vegan Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt.150 ml hot sauce, 1.5 tablespoon white wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Simmer the mixture until the edges are just bubbling then remove from the heat.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can add more cayenne for extra heat or more vegan Worcestershire sauce for more tang.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly before using it to coat your favourite vegan wings or air fryer tofu nuggets.
- If not using straight away, transfer the sauce to a jar, seal and store in the fridge. Reheat in a small saucepan or in the microwave.