Gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside – it’s a MASSIVE VEGAN SKILLET COOKIE! Serve it warm with huge scoops of ice cream and call it a party!
Everyone knows the only thing better than a vegan chocolate chip cookie is a MASSIVE VEGAN SKILLET COOKIE which you can share with your friends!! And hey, If you haven’t got any friends or perhaps you’re averse to sharing, that’s also OK. This is a judgement free zone and I’m proud of you for spending your time in a way that makes you happy. You go Glen Koko, you go!
My personal happy place involves whipping up this cookie and smacking it down in the middle of a table of friends next to a huge tub of vegan ice cream and just saying “OK, GO!” and everyone fights each-other for the gooey-est spoonful but really everyone wins because ALL THE SPOONFULS ARE GOOEY!
Is a vegan skillet cookie JUST A GIANT COOKIE??
Yes! And also No! It’s so much more than just a cookie! I’ve tweaked my classic vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe to make sure that this ENORMOUS version bakes perfectly to give you that crispy edge and gooey centre you’ve been HANKERING for. My vegan skillet cookie contains multitudes sis!
Here’s what makes it so good:
- Half-baked heaven! – The key to a gorgeous gooey massive vegan skillet cookie is to JUST underbake it. This is scary with normal cookie dough because of eggs, but not with vegan cookie dough! The gooeyer the better (gooeyer is a word, mum said so).
- Bittersweet Choccy! – The chocolate is everything! Use good stuff if you can! If you’re new to this game, most chocolate over 65% cacao is dairy free anyway, so just stick to the dark stuff and you’ll nail it!
- IT’S MASSIVE! – I’m talking massive! Like big enough to centre a whole party around. Don’t worry about dinner, just jump straight to cookie island and live there as a gang of happily shipwrecked friends.
How Do I Make A Vegan Skillet Cookie!?
As always, the full recipe is at the bottom of this page (if you keep scrolling past this a fairy dies, no joke) but here’s a little illustrated step-by step for this recipe!
1. Prepare your Dry Ingredients!
This just means get your flour and other dry stuff in a bowl! We’re not going to do anything with it just yet, but it’s good to be organised! I like to sieve my dry ingredients together because this way you avoid lumps of making powder or all your salt being clustered in one corner of the cookie!
2. Beat the wet ingredients!
I use a stand mixer for this but you can always use a hand whisk! If doing this without ANY electrical intervention, then don’t worry about beating until light and fluffy! Just get it to a point where everything is well combined and stop there. You not getting RSI is more important than this cookie, believe me!
3. Add the dry ingredients!
Remember not to overwork the cookie dough once the flour is added. This will activate the gluten which may trigger a malfunction with the launch-pads of the UK’s nuclear weapons and lead to a very long winter. Just kidding, it’ll just make your cookie tough instead of gooey!
4. Add to a skillet!
Be sure to grease up the skillet with some extra vegan butter before you add the cookie dough. I also like to reserve some chocolate chips for the top of the cookie, so set these aside before you add them to the dough.
Don’t forget to sprinkle the top with some flaky sea salt before you bake – it’ll kick things to the next level!
5. Bake it up!
Bake the massive vegan skillet cookie for around 25 minutes or until nice and puffy around the edges. It may look baked through, but don’t worry, the middle will be lovely and gooey (HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID GOOEY??)
And that’s it!
Now all you need is a few pals (or not) and some ice cream! Trust me, just classic vanilla will do the trick – don’t overcomplicate it!
Need more vegan cookies??
You got it sis!! Why not give these bad boys a try!?
Vegan Skillet Cookie
- stand mixer
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring Jug
- Electronic Scales
- 450 g plain white flour (aka all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 200 g vegan butter, melted (block variety, plus a little extra for greasing)
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 100 g soft dark brown sugar
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 150 ml soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 340 g dark chocolate chips (make sure they're vegan)
- pinch flaky sea salt (for sprinkling)
- Grease a 26cm cast-iron skillet with a little vegan butter. Preheat the oven to 160c/320f (fan).
- In a medium bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and fine sea salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the melted vegan butter and sugars. In a measuring jug, whisk together the soy milk, vanilla and psyllium husk powder. Immediately add to the stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat briefly to combine. Finally add the dark chocolate chips, reserving a small handful for topping the cookie. Beat briefly to combine.
- Spread the cookie dough into the skillet and gently push into the corners. Top with the last few chocolate chips and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with a big scoop of vegan ice cream.