These cookies are absolute superstars! I wanted to develop a recipe which tastes like butter-pecan ice cream but with a little sharp kick of dark chocolate. They’re successfully VERY soft and chewy with no cakey-ness in sight. The edges are lightly crisped in the most satisfying way.
I like to bake a batch whenever we’ve got mates coming round because they go GREAT with a good cup of coffee. Whip some up now!
Soft-Batch Pecan and Dark Chocolate Cookies
- 410 g all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 225 g vegan butter (I use “baking block”)
- 155 g pecans (roughly choppeplus 28 pecan halves
- 200 g dark brown sugar
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 5 tbsp water and left for 10 minutes
- pinch flaky salt
- 150 g dark chocolate (over 70% cacao)
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line 3 baking trays with baking parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and flax seed “eggs”. Mix until nice and smooth. Sieve the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and fold in until smooth. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide the dough into roughly 28 balls and arrange on the lined baking sheets with at least 2 inches between each ball. Top each ball of dough with a pecan half, pushed firmly into the centre (but don’t flatten the dougand add a tiny sprinkle of flaky salt to each ball of dough. Place in the oven and bake for 9 minutes.
- Once the cookies have baked for 9 minutes, remove them from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. The cookies should be very slightly browned on the edges but nice and soft and chewy (not cakein the centre.
- While cooling, put a small saucepan on the hob over a low heat and add around an inch of boiling water. Place a bowl over the boiling water and add the chocolate to the bowl. Allow the chocolate to melt lightly before giving it a light stir to make sure there are no large lumps of unmelted chocolate. Turn off the heat.
- Once the cookies are cool, drizzle with the melted chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool and serve.