This tzatziki is sharp, zingy and creamy like a good tzat should be! I use this ALL THE TIME with falafel, roasted carrots and as a component of a gorge summer mezze, but I first made this recipe for inside a shredded chick’n gyro.
This tzatziki is adapted from a minimalist baker recipe, but tweaked ever so slightly to reduce the garlic and up the citrus vibes. IT’S SUMMER IN A SAUCE LADIES AND GREMLINS!
- 1/2 cucumber (finely grated)
- 350 ml vegan yogurt (ideally coconut based, but definitely unsweetened)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice and the minced garlic. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Put the grated cucumber in a nut milk bag/muslin fabric/clean teatowel and squeeze out as much water as possible. Put the drained cucumber in a medium bowl.
- To the bowl add the yogurt, dill, salt, pepper and 1tbsp of the olive oil. Mix everything together.
- Add the garlicky lemon juice and stir again. Top with the last tbsp of olive oil and serve.