Next Level Vegan Gravy
The gravy is sweet, salty umami heaven. My mouth is literally watering while writing this even though I just ate an entire roast. If you’re making a roast dinner for a big family, double the recipe and go wild!
- 2 small red onions chopped roughly
- 3 cloves garlic chopped roughly
- 80 g spare leaves or stalks whatever you’ve got left after chopping your broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts - pretty much any brassica will do!
- 2 small carrots chopped roughly
- 2 stalks celery chopped roughly
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegan red wine or 4 tbsp of the water from soaking mushrooms
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp marmite
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp jam I used greengage jam but go wild! Black currant works well, damson even better. Aim for tart jams, rather than super sweet ones
- 2 dessert spoons flour
- 750 ml boiling veg stock
- 4 fresh sage leave chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Two bay leaves
Into a large sauce pan over medium heat, add around two tbsp of oil. Add the onions and cook for a minute. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add all your chopped veg along with the salt. Cook for around five minutes, stirring regularly to make sure they cook evenly and don’t burn.
Slosh in the wine, soy sauce, marmite, balsamic vinegar and jam. Cook for a minute or two until the liquid has halved in volume.
Add the flour and stir to coat all the vegetables. Immediately add the stock, being careful to avoid a spluttering pan. Stir well to make sure all the flour is hydrated and not lumpy. Reduce heat to low and simmer for around 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened nicely. Make sure you’re stirring frequently to stop it from sticking.
When the gravy is thick enough, strain through a sieve removing all the vegetables. Using the back of a ladle, squeeze all the gravy out of the vegetables (that’s the super tasty stuff).
(Nb. My mums super power is making gravy and she ALWAYS add a good few spoons of chunky peanut butter to hers. I know it sounds weird but give it a try - it’s FRICKIN delicious!)
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1229mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5495IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg