Vegan Granola Base
Vegan granola, packed full of nuts and seeds.
- 255 g old fashioned oats the big flat rolled ones, NOT porridge oats
- 35 g spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- 95 g pecans chopped roughly
- 95 g almonds I prefer whole for crunch but feel free to chop roughly
- 50 g mixed seeds I use a blend of linseed, sesame, pumpkin, poppy and chia, but feel free to use your imagination
- 155 ml fruit syrup maple, carob, date, agave - all work great
- 6 tbsp melted coconut oil I’ve also tried rapeseed oil and it’s just as delicious
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
Preheat the oven to 150c.
In a large bowl mix the oats, flour, cinnamon, cardamom and salt until combined. Add the nuts and seeds and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the melted oil, syrup and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well to combine.
Spread the mixture out evenly onto two baking sheets and bake for 30 minutes, removing from the oven half-way through to break up and stir the granola. (In the second half of the cook time, watch the edges like a hawk and make sure they don’t burn).
Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, the granola should be brittle and crunchy. Store in an airtight jar until ready to serve.
Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg