Vegan lemon poppyseed muffins packed with blueberries and dunked in a delicious blueberry glaze! Bake them for your new neighbour, or just for yourself!
You will not know what’s hit you when you bake these vegan lemon poppyseed muffins! They combine some of my favourite things:
- Lemon cake (because COME ON what’s better than lemon flavoured cake!?)
- Lemon POPPY SEED cake!
- GOSH DARN MUFFINS PACKED WITH BLUEBERRIES!
- Oh, and just super calm..EVERYTHING IS DUNKED IN BLUEBERRY GLAZE LIKE A FREAKIN DONUT!
If these muffins were a friend, they’d be your best, most EXTRA friend ever! The kind who dances on the bar, coyote ugly style but in a fun, not annoying way!
Sorta! I came up with this recipe when I was last in LA. We were staying in Los Feliz and our local coffee shop was a place called Maru. We LOOOVED the coffee there but what kept us going back was really their gosh darn VEGAN LEMON POPPYSEED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS!
Yes, I shamelessly stole this idea from a coffee shop in LA, but I can assure you this recipe is all mine (oh, and they didn’t dunk theirs in glaze – that was my jazzy side coming out!).
I guess you’re going to have to trust me that these guys actually work. The flavours aren’t super out-there but they just come together very nicely!
They’re perfect with a cup of coffee or maybe even a scoop of ice cream??
Lemon, Poppy Seed and Blueberry Glazed Muffins
For the Muffins
- 185 ml full-fat soy milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder + 4 tsp water
- 260 g plain white flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 70 g vegan butter (melted)
- 120 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 50 g frozen blueberries
For the Blueberry Glaze
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 10 g frozen blueberries
- 110 g icing sugar
To Make the Muffins
- Line a muffin tray with cases and preheat the oven to 180c.
- In a measuring jug, mix together the soy milk and the lemon juice. Set aside to thicken. In a small bowl mix together the psyllium husk powder and the water. Set aside to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter with the sugar, lemon extract and zest until combined. Add the thickened psyllium husk and beat on high speed until combined. Add half of the flour mixture and beat on medium speed to combine. Add half the soy milk mixture and beat to combine. Repeat with the remaining flour, beat and then finish with the remaining soy milk.
- Add the poppy seeds and stir with a silicone spatula until well combined. Add the frozen blueberries and stir carefully.
- Using a spring loaded scoop or two spoons, fill each cupcake case 3/4 full. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. While the muffins bake, make the glaze.
To Make the Glaze
- In a small saucepan, place the lemon juice and the blueberries. Place over low heat and stir constantly until the blueberries have all melted, burst and the liquid in the pan is a beautiful blueberry colour. Strain the contents of the pan, reserving the liquid and discarding the pulp.
- In a medium bowl place the icing sugar and add the colourful liquid a tsp at a time, mixing well between each addition until you have a glossy, bright pink glaze which is runny, but clings to the spoon in a thick glaze.
- Once the muffins are baked and nicely browned, remove from the oven and allow to cool fully. Once cooled, dip half of the muffin top in the glaze. Lay on a cooling rack and allow the glaze to set before serving. Enjoy!