Vegan cashew milk ice cream with a creamy, smooth texture! Super simple to make with zero cooking involved!
I can't explain to you how simple it is to make this vegan cashew milk ice cream. Traditional ice cream recipes usually contain eggs to help them thicken up - they're basically frozen custard. But because this is (obvi) a vegan ice cream recipe, we're dealing with a much more simple process!
This ice cream is perfect as a super simple accompaniment to other dessert recipes. In particular my vegan sticky toffee pudding. It works great on crumbles, pies and cobblers too - just like any simple vanilla ice cream would work!
Some big ice cream tips!:
As you might know, I used to make ice cream for a living. Nope, not delicious vegan ice cream but regular stuff (it's in the past!) which means I know a fair bit about making next level frozen desserts. This cashew milk ice cream is no exception! Follow these few simple rules to make sure your ice cream turns out great!
- Use an ice cream machine! There are many, many recipes out there for no churn ice cream, and I'm very dubious to say the least. At best you'll get a frozen smoothie - at worst you'll get an icy block with zero creaminess and a broken wrist from trying to scoop it! Buy yourself an ice cream machine. Even if it's a mega cheap one - as long as it freezes and churns, you're onto a winner! If you wanna go all out - these are my favourite home churners!
- Remember this - the faster you freeze your ice cream, the smoother it will be! Of course, if you're using an ice cream machine, we can't hurry things along very much but you can make sure the mix is fridge temperature when it goes into the machine. It's also a good idea not to overfill the machine - ice cream expands as it freezes plus the less ice cream mix you put in, the faster it will freeze.
- Don't skip the glucose syrup! All sugars have the effect of reducing the freezing temperature of whatever liquid you dissolve them into. This means the more sugar you have, the softer your ice cream will be. I use a little glucose syrup because it has much stronger "anti-freeze" properties than regular sugars but its way less sweet! It helps to keep the ice cream soft without making it overly sweet.
Vegan Cashew Milk Ice Cream
- 100 g raw cashews
- 300 ml boiling water
- 25 g coconut oil
- 65 g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch sea salt
- In the large cup of a high speed blender (I use a nutribullet or a nina) jcombine the cashews with the boiling water. Leave to soak for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, the water should still be warm and the cashews should’ve softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend to combine.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes. Blend again to re-homogenise then pour immediately into an ice cream machine and churn for roughly 30 minutes or until the ice cream is so thick that the blades can no longer turn. Turn off the machine and transfer the ice cream to a freezer-proof container with a lid. Seal and freeze for at least 4 hours before scooping and serving.