Maybe my favourite soup!! It’s got so much flavour, so much texture and oh lord those crispy tortilla shreds!
Here’s the cool bit – pretty much 90% of the main ingredients for this soup are store cupboard ingredients! I always try to make sure I have tins of peeled tomatoes, black beans and corn so I can whip this fella up at a moments notice. And guess what?? It’s actually pretty healthy!
If you prefer, you could very easily bake the tortillas in the oven at 200c if you’d like to avoid frying – they should only take around 10 minutes.
Make it – slurp it – enjoy it!
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 corn tortillas sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp Tajin seasoning if you can’t find it, just use a pinch of paprika, some chilli flakes and some sea salt
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 800 g tin plum tomatoes
- 700 ml vegan vegetable stock
- 1 tin black beans drained and washed
- 198 g tin sweetcorn drained and washed
- Small bunch coriander
- 1 lime quartered
- 1 avocado peeled, de-stoned and quartered
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat and add the rapeseed oil. Bring to heat.
- Add the shredded tortillas in small batches and fry for around a minute or until they begin to turn very slightly brown. Remove from the pan and place on a piece of kitchen towel to drain off the excess oil. Repeat until all the tortilla slices are fried. Toss with the Tajin and set aside.
- In a large deep saucepan, add a tiny drizzle of rapeseed oil and bring to a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry until it’s starting to turn translucent. Don’t let it burn – stir often.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute before adding the cumin and the paprika.
- Add the tin of plum tomatoes and crush with the back of a spatula. Stir and reduce the heat slightly once the sauce reaches a simmer.
- Allow to simmer for around 5 minutes or until the sauce is starting to reduce. Add the stock and cover. Stirring occasionally, simmer the soup for a good 20 minutes. Add the beans and sweetcorn, stir to combine and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, the soup should be good and reduced but nice and saucy! Dish up into four bowls, top with avocado, a good squeeze of lime, some coriander and a handful of your crispy tortilla shreds. You can also add an extra shake of Tajin because it’s DELICIOUS!