This is a SOUPer quick recipe for a crazy healthy mid-week filler-upper. It’s crazy fragrant and packed full of carrot, sweet potato and turmeric. Serve with a hunk of bread and some vegan butter!
Servings: 4 servings
For the Oat Cream
- 300 ml boiling water
- 40 g organic rolled oats
- small pinch fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
For the Soup
- 1 tbsp rapeseed/olive oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds + 1 tbsp coriander seeds separated
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch ground coriander
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato roughly cubed
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh turmeric
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso paste
- 3 tsp vegan bouillon
- 1.5 litres boiling water
- Small bunch fresh coriander leaves
Make the Oat Cream First
- In the cup of a high speed blender, place all the oat cream ingredients. Cover and leave to soak for minimum 30 minutes. Once soaked, blend the mixture until completely smooth and thick. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
To Make the Soup
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and bring to temperature. Add 1 tbsp of the coriander seeds to the oil and toast, stirring constantly until they smell fragrant (a minute or so). Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until turning soft and translucent. Lower the heat to medium/low.
- Add the spices, celery, carrot, sweet potato and turmeric and sweat alongside the onion for a minute, stirring constantly. Add the miso, bouillon and boiling water, stir well then bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for around 8 minutes.
- While your soup is simmering, place a small dry frying pan over a medium heat and add your remaining 1 tbsp coriander seeds. Toast until fragrant (around a minutand then transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Very roughly grind and set aside.
- Test a piece of carrot and a piece of sweet potato. They should be just soft enough to insert a fork easily. Turn off the heat and blend thoroughly with a stick blender until very smooth. If you’d like the soup thinner at this point, add some extra boiling water. If you’d like it thicker, return it to the hob and simmer for a little longer.
- Spoon into soup bowls, top with a drizzle of your oat cream, a few coriander leaves and a sprinkle of toasted coriander seeds.