With BBQ season FAST approaching, these guys are going to be your best mates. They’re super soft, slightly sweet and oh so perfect for stuffing with a nice vegan burger. This recipe makes 9 buns so you’ll have plenty for your friends, or you can freeze them and defrost as required. They also go great with bbq jackfruit or pulled king oyster mushrooms!
- 50 g corn flour
- 600 ml oat or soy milk
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 20 g vegan “baking block” butter
- 750 g strong white flour
- 7 g sachet fast-action yeast
- 2 tsp sea salt
- vegan egg wash 2 tbsp oat/soy mik, 1 tsp vegetable oil, 1/2 tsp maple syrup whisked together
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornflour and the vegan milk then place over a low heat. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a simmer. Once it reaches around 70c the mixture will thicken quickly. Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the sugar and the vegan butter. It should resemble a thick custard. Set aside to cool slightly for around 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the flour, yeast and salt. mix to combine. Once cooled slightly, add the cornflour/milk mixture to the flour. Turn on the mixer and knead with the dough hook on medium speed until a ball of uniform dough forms. Cover with a damp cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
- After the dough has rested, turn the mixer back on and knead for around 7-10 minutes. Turn off the mixed, remove the bowl and cover with a damp cloth again. Leave for 1.5 hours.
- After the dough has proved, lightly flour a surface and turn out the dough. Punch out any large air bubbles and divide the dough into 9 pieces (they should be roughly 150g each). Working one piece at a time, fold the edges of the dough into the centre forming a sort of upside down jelly-fish shape. Turn it right way up, so you have a nice smooth topped piece of dough and using your little fingers and the sides of your palms, rotate the dough while tucking the bottom under to form a nice smooth ball. Repeat with the other pieces of dough and place them all on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Cover with the cloth and leave to prove for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Mix together your egg wash and, using a pastry brush, cover the tops of each bun with the egg wash. Sprinkle with seeds and place in the oven. Bake for around 15-18 minutes. Keep an eye on the buns as the tops can burn easily – be ready to take them out at the 15 minute mark.
- Allow the buns to cool fully, or for at least half an hour in a cool space, before slicing, filling and eating. If desired, you can toast the sliced bun before filling.