Don’t even talk to me about these scones. Ok, no, do talk to me. But don’t ask me to tell you how good they are, because they’re INSANE! All I can say is, imagine if banana bread, pumkin spice and Nutella had a baby. It would be these scones. Make them for with a cup of morning coffee and you’ll be LEAPING out of bed come morning!
Banana Hazelnut Scones
For the Scones
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 120 g raw hazelnuts
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 80 g vegan butter (I use stork or baking block)
- 55 ml soy milk
- 35 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp oat milk
To Make the Scones
- Preheat the oven to 220c.
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and put in the oven for around five minutes or until toasted. Don’t let them burn.
- Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and chop finely.
- In a large bowl combine the flour spices and salt. Chop the butter into chunks and add to the flour. Using your finger tips, rub the butter into the flour until there are no more large lumps of butter. Add all of the chopped toasted hazelnuts except for around two tablespoons.
- Mash the bananas thoroughly in a medium bowl. Add the soy milk, granulated sugar and vanilla and whisk briefly to combine. Add the banana mixture to the flour and butter mixture. Stir together very roughly until just combined.
- Flour a flat surface and turn out the scone dough. Flour the top of the dough and pat it down into a roughly 15-20cm wide circle (it can all be very rough and uneven at this point – in fact it’ll look better for it later on). Slice the dough in half and then into quarters and then into eighths.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and move the Scones to the tray, separated and placed evenly around the tray.
- Brush the Scones with some soy milk if you like and sprinkle with granulated sugar (not essentiabefore popping in the oven for 17 minutes. While the scones are baking, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a measuring jug.
- Remove scones from the oven and allow to cool completely before glazing and sprinkling with the remaining hazelnuts.