I first made this, believe it or not, as a scraps supper (leftovers cobbled together into a meal of sorts). We had leftover bulgar wheat from the day before which I had fried, but needed something to serve with it. The fridge was a little sparse but somehow I got this meal out of it. My husband talked about it for two days (+10 husband points to me).
It’s great for lunch or a light dinner. The beets would also be beautiful with a vegan sour cream (which I’m yet to devise) but hang tight on that recipe!
Roasted Beets with Kale, Pesto and Tahini Cream
For the Beets
- 5 small beets (stems removed and scrubbed clean)
For the Kale
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 leaves of kale (destemmed)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Good pinch of salt
For the Pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 60 g fresh basil (chopped roughly, stalks included)
- 2 tablespoon vegan Parmesan (I use Follow Your Heart)
- 2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon maldon salt
- 8 good grinds of black pepper
- 7-8 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the Tahini Cream
- 4 tablespoon tahini
- ¼ teaspoon maldon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- Pinch black pepper
- 150 ml oat milk
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped toasted hazelnuts
To Make the Beets
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Wrap each beet individually in one layer of tinfoil and roast for 40 mins.
- Remove from the oven and open the tinfoil. Allow the beets to cool until you are able to handle them. Peel off the skins and discard. Slice the beets width-ways into ½cm discs. Set aside until the rest of your ingredients are prepped.
To Make the Kale
- Boil the kale in a large pan of water for five minutes. Remove and drain thoroughly.
- In a medium saucepan add the olive oil and place over a medium heat. Add the crushed garlic and brown gently. Add the boiled kale and sauté gently for around four minutes. Remove from the heat.
To Make the Pesto
- In a small dry frying pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast for a few minutes until starting to brown.
- Into the bowl of a blender or a nutribullet, add all the pesto ingredients. Blend until quite smooth but slightly chunky. Set aside.
To Make the Tahini Cream
- Put all ingredients in a clean jam jar and shake well to combine. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
To Plate Up
- Plate up in the order as pictured: kale, beets, tahini cream and pesto. Top with the chopped toasted hazelnuts and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with bulgar wheat, couscous or just some fresh bread!