I became SO obsessed with the redcurrant cocktail from a few weeks back that I consumed about a years worth of redcurrants in about a week. Therefore, I’ve been forced to move onto BLUEBERRIES. I managed to find a frozen pack of those tiny wild blueberries in our local favourite Trinity Wholefoods. Yes, they’re smaller than normal but they have so much more colour and flavour.
This recipe calls for a blueberry cordial called Blåbärssaft which I’ve had loads of fun pronouncing incorrectly over the past week. It’s dead easy to make and it actually works great with just fizzy water and lemon. Sidebar: we pour it on our porridge every morning – boom!
Also, heads up. not all champagne is vegan. As with all alcohol, be careful and do your research before buying something expensive. I found this guide helpful.
For the Blåbärssaft
- 150 g blueberries small wild ones are the best, frozen is perfect too
- 75 ml water
- 45 g caster sugar
For the Cocktail
- Lots of ice
- 8 tbsp Blåbärssaft
- 80 ml lime juice
- 120 ml rum
- Champagne prosecco will do fine too!
- Mint stem and a few blueberries for garnish
To Make the Blåbärssaft
- Place the blueberries in a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil over a medium/low heat. Simmer for around 5 minutes until all the blueberries have burst.
- Remove from the heat and pour through a fine mesh sieve or (idealla nut milk bag and leave to drain through. Once cool enough to handle, squeeze the bag to make sure all the juice comes through but the pulp stays behind. Return the blueberry juice to the pan.
- Add the sugar and place back on the heat. Bring to a simmer again and stir constantly to make sure the sugar dissolves. Simmer for a few minutes and then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
To Make the Cocktail
- HEADS UP: the ingredients above make FOUR cocktails. Don’t throw all these into one drink or you’ll be done for the night. Divide the ingredients by four before making the recipe!
- Fill a tall glass with plenty of ice and a slice of lime (you can throw a handful of blueberries in too but beware – they float to the surface and make drinking a bit difficult – they look cute though!)
- Add the Blåbärssaft, rum and lime juice. Top up with champagne and garnish with the mint sprig.