Until I went vegan back in 2017, I thought it wasn’t possible to eat more marmite. As a vegetarian I’d have marmite on toast roughly fifty seven times per day. As a vegan I put marmite on EVERYTHING! Crushed potatoes are basically my fave carb, so covered in marmite they’re practically a gosh darn dream food. They’re perfect as a side or served with a salad or, I don’t know, WITH A GODDAM ROAST DINNER??
These little dudes are crispy and fluffy with an intense umami vibe. The cashew cream finishes off the mouthfeel with a super smooth sexiness like no other. If you want the cream to take on a more cheesy flavour, throw a tablespoon of nutritional yeast into the blender too.
- 2 tsp marmite
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp Dijon
- 1/4 tsp maple
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
Garlic Cashew Cream
- 160 g raw cashews
- 125 ml water
- 1/4 tsp maldon salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 375 g Anya New Potatoes or any good waxy salad potato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch maldon salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or whisk together in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
For The Cashew Cream
- Cover the cashews with cold water and leave to soak for minimum 20 mins. Drain the cashews and add to the cup of a nutribullet or high speed blender. Add the half cup of water, the salt and the garlic granules. Blend for around 30 seconds or until completely smooth. If the cream is too thick, add an extra tbsp of water and blend again.
For the Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 170c.
- Parboil the Potatoes in a medium sized saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and spread out on a baking tray. Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt. Place in the oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and turn the temperature up to 190c. Gently crush each potato with a masher or fork. Don’t flatten them completely, leave them quite 3D so they stay nice and fluffy. With a pastry brush, cover each potato with the marmite glaze. Return potatoes to the oven for 25-30 more minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. They should be crispy on the edges and fluffy in the middle.
- Top each potato with a good dollop of cashew cream and a sprinkle of chives. Serve immediately.