Mushrooms on toast, glazed with miso served with a herby, vegan cashew cream. It's a brunch of champtions!
These mushrooms on toast are your solution to a CRACKING vegan brunch which is avocado free (no shade, we just all need a break from avocados every once in a while, right?).
If you're into an umami kick to get you out of bed on the weekend, this dish is your guy! Its a super savoury stack of miso glazed mushrooms, topped with deliciously herby cashew cream. Whip some up this Sunday for your gang!
Vegan Brunch Club!
What can I say? I'm gay, I'm millennial and I lived in London for 10 years. Of COURSE I'm a big brunch fan! It's nothing to be ashamed of! I mean, what's not to like about brunch?
Being vegan makes brunch a little tricky sometimes, especially when eating out, but at least you don't have to worry when making brunch at home! This is probably one of my favourite dishes to whip up on a Sunday morning, especially if we've got friends around.
For an even easier version - skip the cashew cream (although it's BLOODY GORGEOUS) and replace it with some vegan creme fraiche or cream - my favourite is from Oatly!
Want to go one step closer to a full English? Why not whip up some vegan sausages and a side of my tofu scramble recipe?
The last time I made this recipe was for a bunch of very hungover buddies who came to stay for new years eve. New years day was a particularly tough one, but these mushrooms on toast got them up and moving again in no time (the litre of coffee might have helped too!).
Fancy a different kind of brunch?
Why not try my perfect tofu scramble with a side of my delicious mexican skillet potatoes!
Miso Glazed Mushrooms on Toast
- 50 g raw (unsalted cashews)
- 85 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic (minced or crushed)
- 200 g brown button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoon boiling water
- ¼ teaspoon agave syrup/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme (stalks stripped and leaves roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chives (roughly chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 slices toasted (vegan-buttered sourdough)
- In the cup of a high speed blender (I use a ninja or nutribullecombine the cashews with the boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for minimum 30 mins.
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, add the vegan butter or oil and allow to melt. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, being careful not to burn it. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat with the garlic oil. Fry until nicely browned, tossing or stirring regularly (around 5 minutes).
- Reduce the head to low and add the soy sauce, miso, water, agave and lemon juice. Simmer for a few more minutes until the liquid has reduced nicely and is glazing the mushrooms. Add the black pepper, stir and then remove from the heat.
- Blend the cashews in their soaking water until very, very smooth. Stir in half of the herbs and the fine sea salt.
- Divide the toast between two plates and top each with half of the mushrooms. Top the mushrooms with a good dollop of the cashew cream and then sprinkle the remaining herbs on top. Serve and enjoy!